Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Tea Time


Tim ordered tea last night after dinner.  This was after his dinner of steamed salmon, asparagus and sticky rice.  I kept looking under the table wondering if her real husband was hiding under there.  Tea?  Steamed salmon?  What happened to the baby-back ribs and cappuccino?  This brings me to the fact that in the past couple of months he's lost a significant amount of weight - not that he even needed to lose weight but he kept saying he wanted his belly to be smaller to help his bad back.  Now his pants don't fit.  Mind you, he really didn't have to do much to lose this weight which I think always seems to be the case when it comes to guys losing weight.  They just alter one small thing (cutting out that afternoon icecream, jogging on the treadmill a few more minutes than normal, having skim milk instead of whole in their coffee, etc) - in Tim's case it was stopping his after dinner habit of eating 3-4 bowls of cereal as a snack.   Or eating 3 instead of 6 slices of pizza.  Or 2 instead of 12 fig newtons.  So maybe it's moderation that he's learned and maybe it does make sense that he's lost this weight.  Sometimes I watch him after he's eaten and I can tell that he's REALLY wanting more but he's sitting quietly, just waiting.  "What are you thinking about" I ask?  "They say it takes 20 minutes for your body to know it's full", he says.   I have heard this fact and I'm not sure if it's true but for me, there's no way I'm going to just sit around waiting to see if I'm still hungry... if I wait this long I think I just forget that I had wanted more to eat and have moved onto something else...  Tim actually does sit there though with his empty plate in front of him, looking at the clock for twenty minutes to pass.  And then he makes his decision and for the most part, he's not hungry any more!  Last night though... after the salmon and tea episode... after I had gone to bed... I heard some footsteps down the stairs and into the kitchen, some cellophane unwrapping and some chewing (well maybe I couldn't hear the chewing but it adds to the image doesn't it?) and when he came back to bed... Tim smelled strangely like Fig Newtons.   Ahhh... my husband is back.

No comments:

Post a Comment